DEBATE OF '98- responsibilities of forest land owners

Joseph Zorzin redoak at forestmeister.com
Tue Apr 21 05:00:54 EST 1998

JimiFromMI wrote:

> In article <6hfpb5$7g9$1 at nnrp1.dejanews.com>, mcour at telxon.com writes:
>
> >If a single steward (the government) were to exercise
> >too much control, mistakes would be far more devestating.  Let's not forget
> >that the government is not far removed from the whim of the voters who are
> >not
> >the best people to be making broad land-use choices.  Private ownership works
> >because the private owner has a strong stake in doing what's best for his
> >land.
> >

> AMEN.  Well said!

The private owner may have a strong stake in what's best but that
doesn't mean they'll make the right decision. Look at the way we've
abused land in this country by massive suburban sprawl, strip
development, urban decay, abused private timber land for short term
gain, etc. You may not like big government, but it's easier for gov. to
take the long view. The private individual too often takes the short
view. If all that western timber land had been handed over to private
interests like all the other western land, it would probably have far
more erosion problems than currently, AND most of the timber would have
been cut by now, like in the East, where the motto was, "cut out and get
out"- all done by those glorious "private enterprises". I don't trust
either private enterprise or government. They all suck. <G>

But like Churchill said, "democracy is the worse form of government
except for all the rest". And the American political credo seems to be a
balance of gov. and private sector works best. And I'll agree there has
been too much gov. in this century. And that's why I criticize my state
forestry agency. They don't know enough to give up the idea of
"overseeing" consultants via "service foresters" - the buggy whips of
this profession. <G>

And back on subject, most private forest owners in the NE DON'T make the
right decision, which is to hire a forestry consultant. <G>

JZ

--
http://forestmeister.com

Henry David Thoreau