DEBATE OF '98- role of government and leaders

Joseph Zorzin redoak at forestmeister.com
Tue Apr 21 04:49:56 EST 1998

Larry Harrell wrote:

> It did then it didn't. It seems that this matter of trusting the FS and the
> QLG to do what they appear to say they'll do. It seems that the stable
> economy part of the bill is scaring outsiders away. There is lots of small
> nearly worthless fir, lots of small marginal Jeffrey pine and some older
> valuable Jeffrey pine. To make it work better, it seems that some larger
> pine might have to go along with the crummy stuff. I have worked on a
> service contract under QLG and also on PL-104 (salvage rider) sales. Some
> of the salvage didn't sell partly because of Sierra Pacific's timber
> monopoly ( second largest private American land owner ) and partly because
> not enough "good" trees were marked. Cull was originally required to be
> removed. "Mc Forestry" timber markers painted a lot of worthless trees.
> Plus other details of the timber sale contracts that SPI didn't like.

One thing I learned early on in timber marking is you don't try to have
your timber buyer do your TSI for you. Sell the good and maybe mediocre
stuff but don't try to force timber companies to buy the true junk. The
junk you kill in a TSI operation. Especially in a monopolistic
situation. As a consultant, if the sale don't fly I don't eat.

JZ