DEBATE OF '98- Earth's forests are shrinking

Anders Axelsson anders.axelsson at eu.pnu.com
Tue Apr 21 09:46:49 EST 1998

Martin Flower <sylvestris at NOSPAM.geocities.com> wrote in article
> Today, it no longer makes sense to subsidise european
> agriculture.  But it does make sense to subsidise
> forestry because the people need the trees.

Why subsidise anything? The European taxpayers need a break,so I agree that
agricultural subsidies should gradually be done away with.However,if you
subsidise
forestry instead you:
1 Keep the taxpayer as unhappy as before.
2 Increase the price of foodstuffs unnecessarily,and
3 Damage already existing forestry.
So,why subsidise at all?

AA