DEBATE OF '98- responsibilities of forest land owners

Don Baccus dhogaza at pacifier.com
Tue Apr 21 09:06:07 EST 1998

In article <353C6E56.BC9F0A3C at forestmeister.com>,
Joseph Zorzin  <redoak at forestmeister.com> wrote:

>If all that western timber land had been handed over to private
>interests like all the other western land, it would probably have far
>more erosion problems than currently, AND most of the timber would have
>been cut by now

Like the timber on the western lands that WERE handed over to private
interests.

Not that there's inherently a problem with this.  I don't expect a private
landowner to necessarily place the same value on wildlife and public recreation
that I demand be applied to public lands.  Turn our public lands over to
private industry, and they'd very rightly concentrate on income.  Which is
precisely why public lands can at least potentially be much better managed
for non-income goals like preservation of our biological heritage, etc.