DEBATE OF '98- responsibilities of forest land owners

Anders Axelsson anders.axelsson at
Wed Apr 22 08:54:10 EST 1998

Larry Caldwell <larryc at> wrote in article
<welO10O5I8EG091yn at>...
> In article <353A0EE3.6B6408A at>,
> Joseph Zorzin <redoak at> wrote:
> > Do land (especially forest land) owners have any responsibility to the
> > rest of mankind regarding what they do with that land?
> Yes, for all the rhetoric about property rights, we don't create the
> land and we don't own it.  All we do is use it for a time, then pass
> it on.
In Sweden we say "You don`t own the land--you borrow it from your
That,in my mind leaves you with a lot of responsibilities.
When my brother and I first took a pro Forester through our land (inherited
from my Grandpa) he concluded:
"Boys,you should proud and grateful".That statement made a heck of an
on me,sort of a management philosophy to keep it in no worse condition than
when we took over.
On the other hand the forest is also there to provide jobs and money.A 3-5
piece of land is sometimes called  "mercedes-size" i e a clear-cut will buy
you a Merc.At least a small one.