DEBATE OF '98- responsibilities of forest land owners

mcour at telxon.com mcour at telxon.com
Thu Apr 23 13:31:20 EST 1998

In article <199804231314.NAA22419 at fsp.fsp.com>,
  tkellar at FSP.FSP.COM (Thomas Kellar) wrote:

> In my part of Ohio, the developers do whatever they wish, including
> remove wetlands.  I guess this is a case of monetary democracy in
> action.  You must not have enough money.

The current legal requirement is that every acre of wetland destroyed must be
replaced with 1.5 acres of new wetland, usually in the same watershed.  There
are no loopholes, so if new development is in compliance, I bet that they
created 1.5 acres of wetland in some less-visable area close to where you saw
the development going in.  This takes a lot of money and is usually only done
by developers when the potential value of the devlopment on the wetland far
exceeds the potential cost of creating half-again as much new wetland
somewhere else.

Michael Courtney