DEBATE OF '98- wilderness?

Joseph Zorzin redoak at forestmeister.com
Thu Apr 23 03:56:57 EST 1998

JimiFromMI wrote:

> In article <1998042223541500.TAA19278 at ladder01.news.aol.com>,
> jimifrommi at aol.com (JimiFromMI) writes:
>
> >If I were Rich and wanted to designate thousands of acres that I owned to
> >"Wilderness", but you could never see it, how much should it be worth to me?
> >Maybe there even is some old growth on my land.
> >

> er, I mean:  How much would it be worth to you?  Are you willing to pay for
> something that you can not access in the name of preservation?

There is one guy, I think his name is Vanderman, who shows up on all the
environmental groups and says that to save wildlife we need to lock up
some acreage and NOBODY can go in. But he probably isn't willing to pay
you much to lock up your land from all humans. He hasn't found too many
supporters.

There are of course billions of acres of land that you are prevented
from enjoying- it's known as PRIVATE PROPERTY.

Although, believe it or not, I'm not a communist- but I have some
sympathy with the Native Americans who just couldn't understand how
anyone could own land- any more than someone could own the air or
rivers. Land was what "the people" lived on and shared; but that was
back before our obviously MODERN, and far more civilized world.
--
http://forestmeister.com

Henry David Thoreau