DEBATE OF '98- responsibilities of forest land owners

Don Baccus dhogaza at pacifier.com
Thu Apr 23 15:24:38 EST 1998

In article <353F827D.7DA0D75 at forestmeister.com>,
Joseph Zorzin  <redoak at forestmeister.com> wrote:

>Somehow, I just can't imagine engineers creating wetlands. I doubt they
>know how and I doubt those wetlands will be stable like a "natural"
>wetland.

You haven't heard the phrase "duck donut", used to describe one
common form of wetland mitigation? :)

I'm not a wetlands law expert, but I know the case isn't quite as
stated.  I'm a volunteer photographer for a herp study in a local
wetland that was bought and given to the state in order to mitigate
drainage of another wetland.  So you have a net loss in wetland,
there, and there was no need for them to create 1.5 acres of new
wetland to mitigate for every acre drained.  This was just in the
past three years or so.