DEBATE OF '98- Earth's forests are shrinking

Ron Wenrich woodtick at lebmofo.com
Thu Apr 23 17:00:35 EST 1998

BOBNDWOODS wrote:

> In article <0azT8IAe2mO1Ew6e at thopkins.demon.co.uk>, Theo Hopkins
>
> I have not seen the most recent F.S. survey data (Steve, is it published yet?).
>  My general observation in Alabama and other Southern states is that forest
> land has increased in the last 60-70 years due to the reclaiming of old
> agricultural land.  However, this process has slowed while commercial and
> residential development of forest lands has increased.  I believe the pendulum
> may be swinging the other way once more.
>
> Anyone else see this trend in hard numbers or gut instinct?
>
> Bob Miller
> Alabama Registered Forester
>
> ~~~> The forest may be quiet, but that doesn't mean all the snakes have left.

Forest Resources of PA, produced by the USFS states that timberland did not change
significantly in the past 10 yrs.  It was down .3%.  Additions to timberland from
abandoned farmland were offset by the reclassification of timberland into the
non-com category & losses to nonforest uses.  Mainly strip malls and development.

I expect a lot of the NE to be the same.

RDW