DEBATE OF '98- responsibilities of forest land owners

Joseph Zorzin redoak at forestmeister.com
Fri Apr 24 13:22:31 EST 1998

JimiFromMI wrote:

> Water shed from the road (and clearcut!) has to drain somewhere.  In some cases
> "creating a wetland" is pretty easy.

A wetland is generally a poorly drained piece of land- not just some
pond. How do you mimic poorly drained land? Can they realy recreate an
oxbow? a bayou? a wooded swamp? a freshwater marsh near open water? Such
micro- ecosystems develop as a result of a balance of natural forces
often the result of an "aging" of drainage disturbances dating back to
the last glacial advance. Engineers know how to build structures- with
their materials- stone, bricks, glass, asphalt, wood. I'd like to see a
man made wetland that could fool a trained naturalist or even actually
function biologically the way a "real" wetland does. Not that it's
impossible, but that I doubt there are many firms around that can do it.
If you know of any, please tell us. Such a firm will have a great
business as their reputation gets around.

--
http://forestmeister.com

Henry David Thoreau