Regulate Mushroom Industry

Don Baccus dhogaza at pacifier.com
Fri Apr 24 08:48:55 EST 1998

In article <6hp187$o24$1 at nnrp1.dejanews.com>,  <dwheeler at teleport.com> wrote:
>In article <353F041D.640D5379 at forestmeister.com>,
>  Joseph Zorzin <redoak at forestmeister.com> wrote:

>> Here's a dumb question to a mushroom expert. If everyone is picking
>> mushrooms, does this lower future yields?

>I'd hesitate to call myself an expert. But Clackamas County thinks I am a
>truffle expert, so I'll give an answer you can quote me on in the future:

>With the exception of some truffle species, nobody knows.

Which has been one of the concerns with what until somewhat recently was a totally
unregulated use of our National Forests.  Hopefully some of the fees which are
being collected will go into research, is there any indication of this?  They say
some will go into the program but I don't know if that simply means more folks
to ensure permits are obtained, monitoring of the harvest, etc or if it also
includes some research into the effects of harvest on the various species.