DEBATE OF '98- fundamental tools of forestry

Don Baccus dhogaza at
Fri Apr 24 08:45:31 EST 1998

In article <35405EE0.18414C09 at>,
Joseph Zorzin  <redoak at> wrote:
>Martin Flower wrote:

>>  * machine control - embedded systems

>All of those you mention are fine, but as a "mud forester" over 20 years
>I could easily live without those (except internet of course <G>).

Hmmm...embedded systems have really descreased wastage in sawmills, which
is one reason the mill industry was one of the first to automate.  I had
friends working on sawing algorithims nearly thirty years ago.

So perhaps you personally could do without this technology, but your clients
would be seeing less return on their harvest and perhaps they'd end up
having to do without you :)

- Don Baccus, Portland OR <dhogaza at>
  Nature photos, on-line guides, at