Regulate Mushroom Industry

Joseph Zorzin redoak at forestmeister.com
Fri Apr 24 04:23:56 EST 1998

dwheeler at teleport.com wrote:

> In article <6hmb2u$igq$1 at nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
>   kyosai at yin.or.jp wrote:
> >
> > I believe that regulation is in order. However, the part that I seem to be a
> > bit wary of is the "legislation that would let the Forest Service keep
> > a portion of the revenue from commercial harvesting permits for its special
> > forest-products program." part.
> >
> In this case, I'm worried about the revenue _not_ getting back to the Forest
> Service. In testimony before the Senate, Keith Blatner recently pointed out
> that since Congress has mandated permits be available, but have not provided
> money to hire personnel to provide that serivce, there is darn little reason
> for the FS to continue the permit system without income.

I can see it now. A few dozen "Mushroom Permit Grantors" at GS 12
earning $50,000 per year. The permit fees won't even cover the cost of
the new personnel- not even the gas for the new $40,000 gov. vehicles
for the Mushroomacrats.

> I also question the reliability of Forest Service personnel in identification
> of fungi. For that matter, there are darn few people that can identify more
> than 100 species of any mushrooms.

Mushroom bureaucrats! How insane is that?

--
http://forestmeister.com

Henry David Thoreau