Colorado Blue Spruce Question

JimiFromMI jimifrommi at aol.com
Fri Apr 24 22:58:40 EST 1998

Every year, Michigan County Soil Conservation Districts sell relatively cheap
seedlings to individuals for planting within the same county.  A friend
forwarded an order sheet from Montmorency County (NE lower penninsula) for
1998.

In the Blue Spruce Description it states that it is "not recommended for
reforestation".  These trees thrive all over the state and don't seem to be
bothered by insects.  Any reason for not using them for reforestation?  In my
opinion they make the best Christmas Trees and there are many plantations for
that purpose.  However,  like our native White Spruce (Picea glauca (Moench) A.
Voss), they are quite capable of reaching a height of 90 ft.

No such lack of recommendation exists for another import, the Norway Spruce
(Picea abies), which does grow to greater heights and "thrives" rather than
"grows well" on sandy soils, which is common in the county.

I know there are some faster growing softwoods that do well in this area, such
as Norway Pine, a.k.a. Red Pine (Pinus resinosa Aiton) that may be a better
economical choice, but Is there some other dirt on the Colorado Blue Spruce
that I should know about?

Thanks.

PS:  I noticed that "soil" is not printed on the order form; its just the
Montmorency Conservation District.  Perhaps some more restructuring within the
state.

Brings up another point:  Traditionally, the "SOIL" conservation district has
been behind the planting of trees, while the "FORESTRY" district seems to be
involved in the harvesting of trees.  How much the two groups coordinate
efforts, I have no idea, but it seems kind of weird to me

Any Michigan foresters out there that can clarify job duties, or better yet,
what they should be?