ACF Update

Don Baccus dhogaza at pacifier.com
Sat Apr 25 16:01:37 EST 1998

In article <35423975.73A18A22 at forestmeister.com>,
Joseph Zorzin  <redoak at forestmeister.com> wrote:
>Don Staples wrote:

>> But where does a 500 or 1000 year El Nino fit into the picture?  Does
>> the logger plan for the "average" rain fall?  And for what period of
>> time should the logger be liable?  The land owner is liable for his
>> property, and the effects of it on others, how long do you hold him/her
>> responsible if every thing is jake and El Nino washes the mountain away?

>If it's obvious that the slide occured as a result of the logging, El
>Nino or no El Nino, the landowner and his agents (loggers) must bear
>respsonibility. No?

I could be wrong, but I don't remember my Driver's Manual saying "if
you hydroplane and lose control of your car during a rainstorm in
a 500 or 1000 year El Nino you are not liable for any property
damage that results".

If someone trips over my unrepaird sidewalk, it doesn't matter if the
damage was due to 500 or 1000 year El Nino scenarios.