DEBATE OF '98- responsibilities of forest land owners

Don Baccus dhogaza at pacifier.com
Sat Apr 25 12:06:17 EST 1998

In article <6ht2uj$93a$1 at nnrp1.dejanews.com>,  <dwheeler at teleport.com> wrote:

>No data at all, other than the state which tells us the pair is nesting and
>has produced offspring.

Have they talked to you about doing any monitoring of productivity?  This
might be something you could do on your own.  Or you might just ask them
how many they've fledged.  The probably don't monitor them that long.  Is
this ODF&W or DOF telling you this?  The Legislature has strongly opposed
state agencies doing anything with nso, so I think they pretty much do the
bare minimum they have to do in order to grant permits, etc, in concert
with USF&W.

>Actually, I'd like them to be profligate. I don't think it's going to happen
>though. When our neighbor found out about the nesting owl pair about 10 years
>ago, that property (300 acres?) was nearly clearcut. Darn little cover for
>owls now, but excellent perchest for Great Horned owls, which are responsible
>for most Northern Spotted owl deaths.

That and starvation of the young if there aren't suitable prey species
available...

>It's strange. A couple of years ago we discovered a fairly expensive truffle
>(Picoa, now Leucangium carthusiana) on the property. It was found only under
>one of the large raptor nests, which also appeared to be an owl roost from the
>owl pellets underneath. The odd thing: this is the only known collection of
>Leucangium in July! I have to presume the raptors brought the truffles into
>the site.

As I'm sure you know, in our forests in western Oregon the primary prey
species is flying squirrel, which feed on truffles...was the truffle just
on the ground when you found it?  Learning to identify flying squirrel
bones from pellets is probably pretty easy...(hint hint).