Underwater Logging

Joseph Zorzin redoak at forestmeister.com
Sun Apr 26 09:27:21 EST 1998

Don Baccus wrote:

> In article <35430594.1FB92507 at forestmeister.com>,
> Joseph Zorzin  <redoak at forestmeister.com> wrote:
>
> >I think the harvesters of those sunken logs should keep ALL  the profits
> >and not give 30% to the %#(@|^ state. <G>
>
> Why?  The state owns them, as was pointed out.
>
> >Except normal taxes on profits of course. All those state burros didn't
> >risk their lives dragging out those logs; they were too busy going to
> >meetings and writing meaningless reports. Those logs contribute to the
> >state's economy...
>
> So would clearcutting every National Forest in my state 'til we looked
> bald as Kansas.  Sorry, the "contributes to state's economy" is a weak
> argument.  Logging state parks and turning them into malls would also
> contribute to the state's economy, far more than keeping them parks.
>
> >I'm not always pro business, but I respect people who do dangerous and
> >difficult work.
>
> Hit men do difficult and dangerous work.  Should they therefore be able
> to keep 100% of their income, tax free?
>
> --
>
> - Don Baccus, Portland OR <dhogaza at pacifier.com>
>   Nature photos, on-line guides, at http://donb.photo.net

There is no comparison between underwater logging and normal forestry
activities so your analogy doesn't "hold water", sorry for the pun. But
of course you always have to have the last word on everything; so be my
guest. Let the rest of us just proclaim you as God and change the names
of the groups to bionet.agroforesty.Baccus-God and
alt.forestry.Baccus-all-answers. <G>

Sure, the underwater logs belong to the state, but the state barely knew
those logs were there. And the state would NEVER have the brains, the
balls or the money to turn those logs into a valuable resource. So the
state should GIVE them away to whoever has the gumption to get them; not
keep 30%. Or at least lower that figure to maybe 10%. Most of those
Great Lake states are still suffering from the industrial decline. They
should try to encourage people with the guts to dive for logs.

--
http://forestmeister.com

Henry David Thoreau