Underwater Logging

Mike Hagen mhagen at olympus.net
Tue Apr 28 17:18:37 EST 1998

Its Thuja plicata out here, but your description of a cedar bog is
right on. Just adjust your average bole size to 5 ft in diameter and
imagine running lines through the down wood. There are few of these
areas left. Most were logged before the advent of tough riparian
protection rules. Though I've never run into a bear in one of these, I
have had the experience of stumbling upon a family of river otters who
were using the timber as recreational equipment.