Underwater Logging

Mike Hagen mhagen at olympus.net
Tue Apr 28 11:28:52 EST 1998

I've never seen this stuff, just heard that it was high quality by
today's standard.  In Washington state redcedar swamps salvagers have
been mining buried wood since the 60s.  When the cedar is completely
submerged it will last for an amazingly long time. It is quite common
to find 800 year old stumps straddling similar aged horizontal logs.
White woods don't normally  last as long as cedar, but there have been
a few surprises. On at least one of my sales, shake cutters converted
some buried hemlock into bolts, just for the heck of it.  Anaerobic
storage conditions seem to be equally important as the inherent rot
resistance of the particular wood.