DEBATE OF '98- responsibilities of forest land owners

dwheeler at teleport.com dwheeler at teleport.com
Thu Apr 30 13:28:44 EST 1998

In article <35486fdf.0 at news.pacifier.com>#1/1,
  dhogaza at pacifier.com (Don Baccus) wrote:

> In article <6i8sv8$atq$1 at nnrp1.dejanews.com>,  <dwheeler at teleport.com> wrote:
>
> >I'm concerned about the description of "Western Oregon." Many nso are located
> >in the Siskyous, a relatively high, dry side of "Western Oregon, if by that
> >appellation we stipulate "west of the Cascade Mountains."
>
> Yes, I'm aware of that, but note that Johnsgard's recap of Forsman's work
> states EXPLICITLY that it was done in "wet, coniferous forests" which sounds
> a lot more like "stereotypical" western Oregon forests rather than the
> Siskyous.  The use of the word "wet" seems pretty intentional, i.e. to differentiate
> from the drier southern westside forests.
>
> >> Some folks have a place somewhat near Oxbow Park, on the Sandy, and have
> >> flying squirrels which come to feeders.  They let Portland Audubon bring folks
> >> out at night to watch 'em sometimes.  Being nocturnal, they are hard to see.
>
> >There are a few older trees near Oxbow.
>
> Yep.
>
> >A very distinct possibility. When I first entered the stand I scarred a
> >medium-sized barn owl from a roost during the daytime. I presume it flew in
> >the generaly direction that owl carcass was later found. Since most raptors
> >are extremely territorial, possibly that accounts for the carcass found two
> >weeks later.
>
> A barred owl ought to be able to fend off a barn owl quite well, so who
> knows.  There are tons of great horned owls in mixed farmland/woodland
> areas like you find around La Center...

There _used_ to be a Great Gray owl near Rooster Rock also: had a nest up
there. Hasn't been seen in about 5 years though. Have seen some Great Horned
owls, but they are larger than what was seen. Owl observed was mostly white,
some cream on breast, approx. 20 inches tall, perhaps 25 inch wingspan, and
apparently still hunting at 11 am on October 10, 1997.

> I meant to ask this in my previous post: did you report the band to the
> Bird Banding Lab, in Laurel MD?  The address is imprinted on the band.

No. Did contact Washington Fish & Wildlife, who asked I return to collect
carcass. When I returned, carcass had apparently already been scavenged. Other
than a few water-logged feathers, so trace of the rather ripe carcass. :(

[snip]

> >> The Johnsgard summary indicates wood rats as being important elsewhere, as
> >> opposed to Forsman's westside study (I know for a fact that Forsman worked
> >> in western Oregon, I just don't know where within western Oregon).  Wood
> >> rats aren't unknown west of the cascades, in fact they're very common in
> >> redwood second growth and are the major prey item of nso living in such
> >> habitat.
>
> >I remain unconvinced.
>
> I don't have Johnsgard with me at the moment so don't recall if wood rat
> were one of his "other 20 species" or not.  I do recall that Johngard
> mentions wood rat in regard to the Rockies.
>
> If you can show that Forsman's totally out to lunch, of course you can
> probably restore logging in wet coniferous oldgrowth since his research
> was, after all, the launching point for all of this stuff.
>
> I know Maser doesn't think Forsman's out to lunch, or at least didn't
> when he was our keynoter just about the time the shit hit the fan in the
> late 80s.
>
> --
>
> - Don Baccus, Portland OR <dhogaza at pacifier.com>
>   Nature photos, on-line guides, at http://donb.photo.net