Pollarding

Don Staples dstaples at livingston.net
Thu Apr 30 17:53:31 EST 1998

Brought back old memories of Germany, Theo.  I am not sure what this has
to do with New Orleans, or New Orlens as the locals say, cause they
receive absolutely no snow, but, in the northern US trees are often
topped like this to prevent a large crown that will collect snow and/or
ice, and break.  Perhaps it has to do with the wind forces down on the
Gulf, hurricains and such.

Theo Hopkins wrote:

> Pollarding is common in Europe, particularly in the Med countries, but
> also Netherlansd, Poland, Germany, etc.
>
> There are a number of reasons, including:
>
> 1. The 'German model of forestry' which used to say ....if you don't
> manage trees they will die :-). Very tidy folk, the Germans. ;-).
> This 'tidyness' has probably crossed the Atlantic.
>
> 2. For fodder. The leaves are fed to cattle, sheep, etc.
>
> 3. For firewood or charcoal. The small diameter stems are easy to carry
> away without or before machines were available.
>
> 4. For small diameter timber for traditional peasant houses, bean poles,
> tool handles, weapons, fencing, thatching spars, etc, etc, etc. Again,
> prior to machines, pollarding gave small timbers without having to saw
> from larger trees. Timber cleft from pollarded trees is infinately
> stronger fot tool handles and bow and arrow bows, etc, as there is no
> sawing across the grain. Oak bark can be stripped for tanning leather.
> Willow when pollarded gived hundreds of thin wands for weaving, baskets,
> etc.
>
> In the UK, trees were coppiced rather than pollarded. It is the same as
> pollarding, but the cut is as near to the ground as possible.
> Pollarding, above the ground, keeps the regrowth away from deer,
> livestock, etc. Coppicing gives straighter stems.
>
> Pollarding and/or coppicing is a sustainable form of forestry, and the
> oldest trees in England are said to be of coppice origin.

Don Staples
UIN 4653335