Appropriate Roles for State Forestry Bureaucrats

Don Baccus dhogaza at pacifier.com
Sat Aug 1 12:13:59 EST 1998

In article <1998080103083000.XAA22473 at ladder01.news.aol.com>,
KMorrisD <kmorrisd at aol.com> wrote:

>Second take: Hey Mike, this is the wild west?  Sounds like the bureaucratized
>west to me.  No wonder you all have so may  wise use guys who are ready to do
>them all in (burros that is).  I'd probably change my radical stripes under
>those circumstances. <G>

Oh, there's a lot of talk in the wild west of doing in federal burros, but
it's all talk.  When it comes right down to it, resource users in the West
are perfectly aware that they've got a good deal going.  Remember the
Sagebursh Rebellion, the predecessor to the Wise Use movement?  Remember when
James Watt, under Reagan, made public the administration's support for
transferring federal lands to the states - as a TAX SAVINGS measure?  Remember
how the Rebellion quickly collapsed when they realized their dream of state
control combined with federal money wasn't what Reagan had in mind?  State
control with no federal money meant the end of subsidized below-market
grazing and they knew it.

The Wise Use movement is wiser, I'll give them credit for this.  They tend
to cherry-pick the lands they want transferred to state control, and for
the most part work for the re-establishment of industry control over
management control in a federal ownership context.  Instead of asking
that BLM rangelands be turned over to the states, they work towards
making grazing the primary use of federal rangelands (i.e. to rescind
today's multiple-use mandate).  Ditto National Forests, they have been
making attempts to get rid of the multiple-use mandate rather than
insist on state control of these lands.  In the grazing case, they seem
to recognize that states like Oregon couldn't afford to offer AUMs at
$1.38/yr (state AUMs go for something like $6-$8/yr).  Only the feds
can be depended on to do that :)