Appropriate Roles for State Forestry Bureaucrats

Larry Harrell fotoware at jps.net
Sat Aug 1 09:40:40 EST 1998

KMorrisD <kmorrisd at aol.com> wrote in article
<1998080103083000.XAA22473 at ladder01.news.aol.com>...
> Mike Hagen <mhagen at olympus.net> wrote:
>
> >Forest Service extension foresters, the
> >NRCS, DNR extension Foresters and Techs, Bureau of Indian Affairs,
> >County stewardship and even Assessors Office foresters.
>
> Second take: Hey Mike, this is the wild west?  Sounds like the
bureaucratized
> west to me.  No wonder you all have so may  wise use guys who are ready
to do
> them all in (burros that is).  I'd probably change my radical stripes
under
> those circumstances. <G>
>
> KMD

And don't forget the water agencies. They are now taking a look-see at what
happens to the forests in their jurisdiction. So much so, that the Forest
Supervisor of the Tahoe National Forest has given the order to fill out
numerous Best Management Practices forms for logging activities that occur
in sensitive and significant watersheds. You should have seen the Sale
Administrators whining about having to do the extra work. However, I really
knew that they were worried about "report cards" on the quality of their
monitoring and general ability to control the loggers. They were downright
SCARED of the extra scrutiny and responsibility placed on their heads. Of
course, the extra work of examining the results and filling out the BMP
cards defaulted to the Harvest Inspector anyway.
--
       Larry Harrell Fotoware
Making software out of Fotos for over five years now