Need a source for 1,000 kilos of Eucalyptus seed for US plantation

Crankrod crankrod at aol.com
Sun Aug 2 19:12:28 EST 1998

     We have been trying to reach a source in South Africa for eucalyptus seed,
without much luck.  I think the Government there is in turmoil or
something........ The South Africans (in the past) have been world leaders in
developing genetically superior hybrids of Red Gum Eucalypts.(Grandis,
Camaldulensis, Resinifera, Robusta, Tereticornnis)
    The 2 hybrids we are especially interested in are Grandis X Camaldulensis
and Grandis X Robusta. We are planting these species on our property in Central
Florida (latitude 28.33) in response the the environmental pressure being put
on the native red cypress, which is the primary source for our primary procuct,
which is landscape mulch.
    The reason this mulch business is booming is the water restriction laws for
watering your yards in Florida. Most plants wont survive here without a LOT of
water, unless they are "mulched". Business is booming and our raw materials are
dwindling, hence the need for our plantations.
   Anybody out there know of a source for large quantities of Hybrid Eucalyptus

 all replies are appreciated,

 Mike Milliken, Forester, Greenleaf Wood Products