Need a source for 1,000 kilos of Eucalyptus seed for US plantation

Johan Nel jhnel at REMOVE.THISsafcol.co.za
Mon Aug 3 09:41:30 EST 1998

The following regarding the mail:

>      We have been trying to reach a source in South Africa for eucalyptus
seed,
> without much luck.  I think the Government there is in turmoil or
> something........
About the Government I cannot comment, if you are talking about the SA Seed
Center, I don't think they have that much seed in store.  It would be more
advisable to target specific Co's.

> The South Africans (in the past) have been world leaders in
> developing genetically superior hybrids of Red Gum Eucalypts.(Grandis,
> Camaldulensis, Resinifera, Robusta, Tereticornnis)
I would say actively involved in the genetic improvement of superior
hybrids.
A lot of work has also been done by Aracruz, Brazil especially in the field
of grandis cloning.

>     The 2 hybrids we are especially interested in are Grandis X
Camaldulensis
> and Grandis X Robusta. We are planting these species on our property in
Central
> Florida (latitude 28.33) in response the the environmental pressure being
put
> on the native red cypress, which is the primary source for our primary
procuct,
> which is landscape mulch.
Although we are doing a lot of work GXC, but not much on GXR, there is not
a lot of seed sources available.  In the company I work for availability is
limited to just enough seed for trails, and establishment of hedges for
cloning.

>    Anybody out there know of a source for large quantities of Hybrid
Eucalyptus
AFAIK not to the extend you are interested in, maybe pure grandis.
Please let me know if I can help in making contact with some of the other
Co's and to the extend they can help.

HTH

--
Johan Nel
Project Manager:Forestry Systems, SAFCOL, South Africa