pickled chanterelles

dwheeler at teleport.com dwheeler at teleport.com
Mon Aug 3 16:40:26 EST 1998

Today's trip to the Pacific coast to escape the heat (and do a little
fishing) landed instead a bucket of chanterelles: probably Cantharellus
aurora-borealis, if I understand the concept correctly. The cap has a
buff-orange dusting, and the underside of the inrolled edge has a
bluish-tint, along with some pink.

At any rate, found several pounds where were being systematically stomped upon
by kids from a nearby family reunion, so salvaged as many mature specimens
before returning post-haste to home. So now the question arrises: what to do
with 3 pounds of chanterelles?

Since these were mostly in the early button stage, I am opting for a major
batch of marinated mushrooms, which I first learned about in Wild Mushroom
Cookery, which was published by the Oregon Mycological Society in 1987. I
have had this appetizer several times in the last few years, and am always
surprised how good the recipe turns out. Last year, I invited a co-member of
the society over so I could identify some mushrooms she had found, and
offered her some of these marinated mushrooms. She consumed over a pint
before I could convince her that the recipe was quite easy, and yes, I would
show her where to find some fresh chanterelles the next week. <whew>

So the next time chanterelles show up under your feet...

MARINATED AGARICUS BUTTONS (or Chanterelles)

Bring to boil in a saucepan:
	1/3 cup red wine vinegar
	1/3 cup salad oil
	1 small onion, sliced in thin rings
	1 small clove garlic, pressed or minced
	1 teaspoon salt
	Pepper to taste
	Fresh chopped parsley to taste (can be omitted)
	1 teaspoon Dijon or dry mustard
	1 Tablespoon brown sugar
	1/2 teaspoon “fines herbs” (I use fresh basil, rosemary and thyme)

	Add 1 pound small-sized fresh mushroom buttons. Cover and simmer about 10
minutes.
	Chill the entire mixture, covered. Excess marinade may be stored covered in
the refrigerator and re-used for a new batch within 2 to 3 weeks.
	Serve lighty sprinkled with diced fresh tomatoes or pimento bits for
decoration.

Daniel B. Wheeler
http://www.oregonwhitetruffles.com