Identification found

David Wuchinich 71623.2266 at compuserve.com
Tue Aug 4 09:53:32 EST 1998

Last year I posted the query below

<<
Hiking an abandoned railbed I noticed a tree at the wayside having
almost perfectly spherical ornaments pending from its branches.  Colored
a very light tan, almost gray with a small hole at bottom, these pods
are very fragile and almost paper thin. >>

which elicited many responses.

I returned to the site lately and believe that the diagnosis of insect
galls made by more than one respondent is correct.  I have attached a
640x480 image [galls 640x480.bmp] of a photo made of the tree and its
"ornaments."