landowner question re:post logging cleanup

Robinson robfarm at bellsouth.net
Wed Aug 5 23:12:44 EST 1998

Hi, we sold some timber off our 170 acres last winter and so far the
logging company has yet to come back and do the grading, replacement of
gates and dozing the brush piles up. They have 12 months in the contract
and I guess after cutting the timber the first month they're gonna wait
till the 12th month to  clean up. Part of the area was clear cut, which
we're planning to fence in for pasture, of course I can't put up the
fence till they do the grading. And we were planning to do another sale
of timber and pulpwood but our consultant doesn't want to go out and
mark that till the loggers have come back to finish the dozing, (Im not
sure why).
So to get to my questions, I'm thinking about just renting the equipment
and doing the work myself so that it'll get done right and get done now.
I don't have experience operating heavy equipment but I've always wanted
to learn, and I know people that can come out and teach me. I'm
wondering if a bobcat would do the job or if I'd actually need a tracked
dozer, the ground is pretty dry now. I mostly need to push some brush
piles around, fill in THEIR equipment tracks, and maybe tackle some
privet jungles that are near the house. Seems like you can rent bobcats
all over the place here, but theres no point if it's not big enough for
the job.
Seems like everyone is telling me that pine is the most valuable crop I
can grow today, but I'm not sure if it's worth it if I have to put up
with these guys. I wouldn't have minded so much if they had just said
"We have 12 months in the contract to complete the work so we'll cut it
now and wait till the last minute to finish" , that was in the contract
and I read and understood it, what makes me mad is they keep making
promises that they'll be out in a week or two and never show. I'm not
all that thrilled with my timber consultant right now either. But I
guess I've vented my anger enough for now.
I'd appreciate any input y'all might have about the earth moving
equipment.
One more question , I have (or had ) about half pine and half hardwoods
with a pretty fair amount of white and red oak in there, now if I go to
the lumber store, or even the furniture store, anything in oak is
priced  way, way above pine, but I'm told that pine is the most valuable
crop and the timber guys don't really seem to care much about hardwood ,
it's kind of like an afterthought. By the way, I live in middle Georgia
if location has anything to do with it.
Thanks,Mike
--
Mike and Lorri Robinson