Humorous timber sale names

Don Baccus dhogaza at pacifier.com
Thu Aug 6 00:27:09 EST 1998

In article <35C91C36.92BD4DE9 at forestmeister.com>,
Joseph Zorzin  <redoak at forestmeister.com> wrote:

>But after just comming out of the theatre to watch "Saving Private
>Ryan", anything military or para-military - I'll stay away from.

>BTW, that's one hell of a war movie, no pun intended.

My dad hit Normandy D-day+7, after spending two weeks in the brig
(for cold-cocking his Lt. who took the last liberty pass which my
Sgt. dad and Lt. had been alternating 'til that point.  Lt. knew
it was the last weekend, so took it out of turn making my dad
pull duty, so daddy took him out but of course he got to go join
his unit as a Combat Engineer in Patton's 3rd).

Nothing to do with forestry, other than PBS ran an excellent
documentary on D-Day and the Battle of the Bulge that underscores
the authenticity of this fictional piece (the Germans attacked
through the Ardennes and the associated forest, so this is now
an offical forestry post :)  Are selective bombins better than
clearcut bombings?  Are troops better fertilizer if left
unburied?  (this last is gross, but the reality is that many
dead weren't discovered until the following spring).

Totally off subject here, but on my mind, is an effort which hit
the press today for retired military types to argue that this movie
is so authentic it proves that the battlefield is no place for a
woman.  They want to screen the movie for Congress to convince them
of this fact.

HELL, I sat there watching it thinking "this is no place for a
MAN!"  Since there were no women on the screen, I didn't even think
of them...I just that there thinking of my Uncle's high school class
(small school, all but him and one or two others killed in the Bulge,
he being a HS graduate at 17 thus drafted a year later into other
units), and thinking I was glad that I pulled my 52 in the draft
in 1972, not 1970...

I'm in no sense a pacifist, but we must understand the costs and
risks and human suffering which result from war.  Saying "it's no
place for a women" offends me, when the reality is that it is
no place for any living thing.  And, the testimony of vets who
were there and who watched the movie don't talk about "how this
was a man's job" but rather, how horrible, how unbelievable, how
bloody, how loud, how horrific, the scene was.  I didn't see a
single one saying "thank god there were no women there!".  Because.
of course, there were - French women, who like their men and kids
dies before (during the Allied interdiction of communications) and
during and after the attack.  Necessary attacks, don't get me wrong,
but it is a strange situation when some folks exploit a battle to
argue against women being a part, when the success was largely due
to a heavy, extended, and well-executed air offensive against
Germans in France that killed many civilians, regardless of age
or sex...

OK, back to trees :)