landowner question re:post logging cleanup

Ron Wenrich woodtick at lebmofo.com
Thu Aug 6 05:17:27 EST 1998

> So to get to my questions, I'm thinking about just renting the equipment
> and doing the work myself so that it'll get done right and get done now.
> I don't have experience operating heavy equipment but I've always wanted
> to learn, and I know people that can come out and teach me. I'm
> wondering if a bobcat would do the job or if I'd actually need a tracked
> dozer, the ground is pretty dry now. I mostly need to push some brush
> piles around, fill in THEIR equipment tracks, and maybe tackle some
> privet jungles that are near the house. Seems like you can rent bobcats
> all over the place here, but theres no point if it's not big enough for
> the job.

I'm not sure if a bobcat is big enough.  I've never seen anyone using
bobcats for any type of woods excavation, so, I'm sure there is a reason.  I
doubt they are heavy enough to do much pushing.  If you haven't any
experience in heavy equipment, I'd stay away from it.  If you run over a
stump the wrong way, you could roll the equipment.  Something best left to
professionals.

> Seems like everyone is telling me that pine is the most valuable crop I
> can grow today, but I'm not sure if it's worth it if I have to put up
> with these guys. I wouldn't have minded so much if they had just said
> "We have 12 months in the contract to complete the work so we'll cut it
> now and wait till the last minute to finish" , that was in the contract
> and I read and understood it, what makes me mad is they keep making
> promises that they'll be out in a week or two and never show. I'm not
> all that thrilled with my timber consultant right now either. But I
> guess I've vented my anger enough for now.

Get on your consultants back.  I'm sure he has already been paid, however,
his job isn't over until your contract with the logger is over.  Give them a
deadline, if necessary, to get the grading finished.  Tell the consultant
that either the logger finishes the grading or you will get someone to do
the grading and the bill will be sent to the consultant.  He has some
obligation here, especially if he didn't get a bond from the loggers (sounds
like he didn't).

> I'd appreciate any input y'all might have about the earth moving
> equipment.
> One more question , I have (or had ) about half pine and half hardwoods
> with a pretty fair amount of white and red oak in there, now if I go to
> the lumber store, or even the furniture store, anything in oak is
> priced  way, way above pine, but I'm told that pine is the most valuable
> crop and the timber guys don't really seem to care much about hardwood ,
> it's kind of like an afterthought. By the way, I live in middle Georgia
> if location has anything to do with it.

As in real estate, it has to do with location.  Pine is selling for a better
price than hardwoods in the South.  They also grow faster and taller.  Here
in the NE, we have a tough time selling pine.  I've been told that southern
hardwoods lack quality, therefore, a lower price.

RDW