landowner question re:post logging cleanup

Joseph Zorzin redoak at forestmeister.com
Thu Aug 6 04:59:21 EST 1998

Robinson wrote:

> Seems like everyone is telling me that pine is the most valuable crop I
> can grow today, but I'm not sure if it's worth it if I have to put up
> with these guys. I wouldn't have minded so much if they had just said
> "We have 12 months in the contract to complete the work so we'll cut it
> now and wait till the last minute to finish" , that was in the contract
> and I read and understood it, what makes me mad is they keep making
> promises that they'll be out in a week or two and never show. I'm not
> all that thrilled with my timber consultant right now either. But I
> guess I've vented my anger enough for now.

Not much the consultant can do unless ungraded roads are starting to
erode. Then the argument can be made that if they aren't graded NOW,
there will be severe damage that will cost a lot more to fix later.
Depending on your state, it's forestry laws, and how much and how well
the state service foresters get involved, you might be able to get the
service forester also to lean on the loggers. He could claim that the
brush piles are fire hazards and that the roads are starting to erode.
(for roads that are eroding I have coined the word "eroads") In Mass. a
logger who is really screwing up can be brought to court by the state,
lose his logging license and be subject to severe penalties.

I've had this problem a few times too. Large bonds almost always
encourage the logger to wrap it up. Next time get a huge bond- several
thousand dollars. My general formula is 10% but the minimum should be
more than adequate to fix up the worse case scenario. And make that a
cash bond, held by the consultant, not a paper bond which the loggers
would rather make use of.

> I'd appreciate any input y'all might have about the earth moving
> equipment.
> One more question , I have (or had ) about half pine and half hardwoods
> with a pretty fair amount of white and red oak in there, now if I go to
> the lumber store, or even the furniture store, anything in oak is
> priced  way, way above pine, but I'm told that pine is the most valuable
> crop and the timber guys don't really seem to care much about hardwood ,
> it's kind of like an afterthought. By the way, I live in middle Georgia
> if location has anything to do with it.
> Thanks,Mike

Regarding species to be growing- oak may be high in the stores but just
may not be a species well suited to your land. And if it isn't coming in
on it's own, planting will be too expensive and risky. It's often best
to work with what "wants" to be there- BUT foresters seldom agree on
anything- it's 10% science, 50% art, and 40% politics. <G> So, ask
around- ask other foresters and ask the government guys (burros).

--

Joseph Zorzin, Yankee Forestmeister
http://forestmeister.com