why so few hardwoods in the PNW?

Mike Hagen mhagen at olympus.net
Thu Aug 6 17:54:54 EST 1998

> Depends on your definition.  If you live in Kaui you might
> point to the top of the mountain where it rains 450 inches
> a year on average and scoff at the notion that the Oly
> Penninsula is "wet", with its paltry 60-120 inches a year
> depending on locale.
>
> I guess we're getting off topic but rainfall is dear to out hearts up here. It's what we have left to be unique about, now that forestry and gardening are merging.

Those statistics are part of the balderdash the tourism committees and
retirement boosters put out.  We attempt to counteract that sugar: it
tends to encourage Condos to grow where they shouldn't.  They're off
by at least a factor of two both ways.

Precip on the north Olympic Peninsula ranges from <10 in the depths of
the rainshadow to 250++ up in west side forest country. And its higher
up in the park.  They purposefully put the towns where it didn't rain
so much.  Even so, the weather stations run low on rainfall because
they are all at old military airports, which are on the coast and a
goodly ways away from the towns.  Last year's unofficial rainfall for
the town of Forks was 156", I believe.  Mine was only 92" and I
appreciated the near drought.
Mike H.