landowner question re:post logging cleanup

Larry Harrell fotoware at jps.net
Thu Aug 6 10:57:56 EST 1998

Joseph Zorzin <redoak at forestmeister.com> wrote in article
<35C97E79.6FA59229 at forestmeister.com>...

> Not much the consultant can do unless ungraded roads are starting to
> erode. Then the argument can be made that if they aren't graded NOW,
> there will be severe damage that will cost a lot more to fix later.
> Depending on your state, it's forestry laws, and how much and how well
> the state service foresters get involved, you might be able to get the
> service forester also to lean on the loggers. He could claim that the
> brush piles are fire hazards and that the roads are starting to erode.
> (for roads that are eroding I have coined the word "eroads") In Mass. a
> logger who is really screwing up can be brought to court by the state,
> lose his logging license and be subject to severe penalties.
>
> I've had this problem a few times too. Large bonds almost always
> encourage the logger to wrap it up. Next time get a huge bond- several
> thousand dollars. My general formula is 10% but the minimum should be
> more than adequate to fix up the worse case scenario. And make that a
> cash bond, held by the consultant, not a paper bond which the loggers
> would rather make use of.

Joe, you are 100% correct on your post! The only thing a logger does in the
woods that makes him money is load logs on a truck. Anything else is costly
to him. As long as he is loading trucks, he is happy. Bonds, or "hold back
money" are the way to get what you want out of a logger. And make sure it
is enough to get someone else to finish the job properly. "Rape and run" is
the term we used in the USFS for that practice. Don't let it happen to you.
Also, if during the logging, you find that they are not doing what you
want, shut down their log hauling. That hits them where it hurts and you
get quick compliance. That's how you play "hardball" with them.
--
       Larry Harrell Fotoware
Making software out of Fotos for over five years now