landowner question re:post logging cleanup

Robinson robfarm at bellsouth.net
Fri Aug 7 13:40:10 EST 1998

> My suggestion, for future reference, is to not require the logger to clean up
> your site (except for reasonable requirements to remove trash and other refuse)
> following logging.  A buyer who really intends to do the work will factor the
> cost into his bid.  A buyer who has no intention to do the work will bid
> higher, win the tract, and disappear.  It is usually better to maximize the
> return on your sale and contract clean up work after the job is done.
 That's probably a good idea for us, my wife great grandfather raised
cotton on this  land, he died about 40 years ago, but the legacy of
cotton lives on, the soil is still in badly depleted. So I was thinking
that the next time I'd just have them leave the slash scattered around
to rot and that will at least add some fertility and organic matter back
to the soil. I hadn't considered that it might get me a better bid on it
too.
Mike
Mike and Lorri Robinson
Monticello, GA