landowner question re:post logging cleanup

Robinson robfarm at bellsouth.net
Fri Aug 7 13:30:41 EST 1998

Warren Lang wrote:

. Georgia Forestry Commission has some tractors they use to cut
> firebreaks, if you ask them real nice they may push enough of it back to
> safely burn. They charge a little bit for this, but it is ridiculously
> cheap. Last time they charged me $28 an hour for the time the machine is
> running, and that included an operator. Probably not more than 2-3 hours
> of work for them out there, I would be surprised if it cost you over
> $100.>
Thanks, I'll give them a call and find out about that. And I'll also see
if the extension agent knows a better herbicide than what I've used.
I've tried some brush killer, I think made by Ortho, but all it seems to
do is make a little ill for a week or two.
 Our timber consultant came by today, he said he'd try to push them to
come back out and finish up the dozer work. I told him that even if they
can just do the acreage behind the house that we're planning to convert
to pasture, then I  wouldn't mind waiting a while longer for the rest to
be done. Then I can get my fence up and forage planted this fall.Of
course the mosquitos have been kinda rough this summer what with all the
long narrow ponds they left for us. I just wish I had a real pond here.
 He was also telling us that the  bottom has pretty much dropped out of
the timber market around here, so I guess we'll just hold off on that
other sale till next year and see if the prices come back up.
 Thanks for the advice.

Mike
Mike and Lorri Robinson
Monticello, GA