trees for fencposts

Robinson robfarm at bellsouth.net
Thu Aug 6 20:34:47 EST 1998

Can anyone tell me about species of trees that make good fenceposts and
that would grow in the south. I've heard osage orange and black locust
are really sturdy and rot resistant but I'm not sure if they'd grow here
( middle Georgia). What I'd like to do is find something I could grow in
our 170 acre forest that would not interfere with hunting (we lease
hunting rights to a club) and that I could harvest and sell myself
without having to deal with loggers, and that is both economically and
environmentally sustainable. We have a lot of hardwood, so I'm already
thinking about selling some firewood.
I'd appreciate any suggestions.

And I'd like to add that I hope y'all don't mind me intruding with
ignorant questions. I've found that  the posts in this group are very
educational and informative. When I was younger I often thought about
going into forestry but never had the chance, so now with my own little
piece of land I am looking forward to being able to manage my own
forest.  Our land has been in my wifes family for close to 200 years and
I feel a great responsibility to do things right and make sure there's
something to be passed on to the next generation, so I find groups like
this a great asset in being able to ask questions of experience folks
from all around the country and get your various opinions on things.
 Mike
--
Mike and Lorri Robinson
Monticello, GA