landowner question re:post logging cleanup

Robinson robfarm at bellsouth.net
Thu Aug 6 20:15:43 EST 1998

I am not aware of any kind of heavy equipment that is going to do much
> to privet, other than piss it off.
Well, what I'm talking about is some privet that has probably been
growing for many,many years,it's about 20 ft. tall and trunk diameters
of about 3-4 inches. I've tried going at it with a chainsaw but that
stuff gets so tangled together as it grows that you tell which way the
trunk may go flying. And it's really too tall for me to get good
coverage with spraying, I figure if I could push it all back away
further from the house to burn, then I can attack the re-growth with
herbicide. I wish it was inside my existing pasture because our draft
horses are sure chewing  the hell out what they can get to.

> As an ancillary note, as far as loggers cleaning up the mess, I would
> have to question scheduling another timber sale so close to the last. It
> may even out your cash flow, but the property will always look like
> crap.

 Well one of the areas for the next sale is separate from the area thats
already been cut. My consultant says it's mostly gonna be pulpwood and
he didn't want to add that into the first sale because he thought we'd
get a better price for just the sawtimber  in that sale. The other is
because of a mis-communication, we have about 15 acres behind the house
that I wanted clear cut to turn into pasture, but he only marked about
half of it, so now we're going to finish clearing that , and then let
the other 155 acres grow  back in timber.

Mike and Lorri Robinson
Monticello, GA

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Pointe/1915/