landowner question re:post logging cleanup

ForestFair forestfair at aol.com
Fri Aug 7 16:51:42 EST 1998

>>wudman69 at aol.com (Wudman69) writes:

>>Some thoughts from South of the Mason-Dixon.....Generally speaking,
performance bonds are not used in the South.

<some good stuff deleted>

and,
wrote:
>Here in Alabama the performance bond is used about half of the time on bid
>sales
   <more good stuff deleted>
>My suggestion, for future reference, is to not require the logger to clean up
>your site (except for reasonable requirements to remove trash and other
>refuse)
>following logging.  A buyer who really intends to do the work will factor the
>cost into his bid.  A buyer who has no intention to do the work will bid
>higher, win the tract, and disappear.  It is usually better to maximize the
>return on your sale and contract clean up work after the job is done.
>Loggers
>generally aren't equipped to do this kind of work.

Bob,

  I think what works out may vary from region to region.  Our woodlot is on
hilly, clayey soil, with quite a number of springs.   We had a harvest on part
of it during the winter, and had written in details of the cleanup, (including
things like grading roads and trails, the size of tops, what could be left in
place and what had to be removed from the site).

We didn't include seeding roads that were made by the logger as part of the
contract, as we planned to do it ourselves.   ( 9,000 feet of road, and the
broadcast spreader broke in the first hour.)

We'd also planned on a winter harvest (which  in NY USUALLY means frozen
ground) but as it turned out, El Nino had other plans, and our south-facing
hills were not frozen most of the time.  If we had not included cleanup in the
contract, I don't think the loggers would have been as careful to avoid damage.
 They knew that if they kept working in mud conditions (and we did reserve the
right to stop them). they'd have a lot more work at the end.  And we'd have
soil that looked smooth, but would have been excessively compacted for decades.

We'd also included in the contract that the logger had to pay treble the market
value of any unmarked tree that was damaged.  The first day on the job, the
logger told our consultant that he'd damaged a nice unmarked tree during road
building.  That was a good move on his part, because there were some others
that got damaged along the way, and we did not ask for damages, since they
seemed to be making every effort to do a good job.  But without that detailed
contract, they wouldn't have known just what we expected of them.

ForestFair
Family Forest Fair '98, Oct. 3 & 4, Greenwich NY
Info:  http://www.rpi.edu/~wentor/NYFOA.html