thinning: logs to the mill - or bring in a portable ??

ForestFair forestfair at aol.com
Sat Aug 8 13:43:56 EST 1998

norm at pdx.wantweb.net (Norm Duncan), asked:

>My question is this: Rather than occasionally send a truck load to the mill,
>is it economically feasible to have our local portable mill guy (bandsaw
>type) cut up the logs right here and then sell the lumber via retail (perhaps
>thru the thrifty ads)? The port. mill guy says he will produce considerably
>more board feet than I will receive from the scaling process. And he can help
>sell it.  ??

Doug fir is only grown for Christmas trees where I am, so I don't know about
marketing that particular wood.  However, anyone considering direct sales to
local consumers needs to have a place to dry the lumber, and a place to store
it (a barn, for example)  after drying.   Proper stacking, with stickers
between the boards and good air circulation, is important.

Often the companies that make portable sawmills can provide the names of people
 who own their mill and who do work for others.  In my area, there's a man
with a Woodmizer who gets $30 an hour for his work and travel;  this includes
the work of his wife (she does the hard part, while he operates the buttons
<g>).

Local woodworkers might be one market to check out.   And anyone who has been
to a local lumber company and has seen the quality of some of the junk being
sold today might be a potential customer.

FF
Family Forest Fair '98, Oct. 3 & 4, Greenwich NY
Info:  http://www.rpi.edu/~wentor/NYFOA.html