why so few hardwoods in the PNW?

Mycos !williams at wkpowerlink.com
Sun Aug 9 11:57:16 EST 1998

On Thu, 06 Aug 1998 15:54:54 -0700, Mike Hagen <mhagen at olympus.net>
wrote:

Perhaps an interesting anecdote regarding  precip. in Georgia
Straight. On Lasquiti (?) Island the precip. is so low that Prickly
Pear Cactus ( Opuntia fragilis ) can be found. This rather amazed me
when I first learned of it as I would have thought that the ambient
moisture of the coastal PNW would have precluded this. Silly me.  The
next time you run across Opuntia is inland when you reach the
semi-arid Bunchgrass zones of the interior.

>Precip on the north Olympic Peninsula ranges from <10 in the depths of
>the rainshadow to 250++ up in west side forest country. And its higher
>up in the park.  They purposefully put the towns where it didn't rain
>so much.  Even so, the weather stations run low on rainfall because
>they are all at old military airports, which are on the coast and a
>goodly ways away from the towns.  Last year's unofficial rainfall for
>the town of Forks was 156", I believe.  Mine was only 92" and I
>appreciated the near drought.
>Mike H.

Remove ! from address to reply