thinning: logs to the mill - or bring in a portable ??

norm at pdx.wantweb.net norm at pdx.wantweb.net
Sat Aug 8 10:45:04 EST 1998

Now that I am retired, I am going to stay home and slowly thin out about half
of our 40 acre Doug fir farm. Since I have always been rather opposed to raw
log exports from public land, I will refrain from that approach to my export
quality trees. But naturally I still want to maximize my return.

My question is this: Rather than occasionally send a truck load to the mill,
is it economically feasible to have our local portable mill guy (bandsaw
type) cut up the logs right here and then sell the lumber via retail (perhaps
thru the thrifty ads)? The port. mill guy says he will produce considerably
more board feet than I will receive from the scaling process. And he can help
sell it.  ??

Norm Duncan