Northeast Forest Practices Campaign Website (Fwd)

KMorrisD kmorrisd at aol.com
Sat Aug 8 06:26:11 EST 1998

Subject: Northeast Forest Practices Campaign Web Site Updated
From: Jomama at acadia.net (Jomama)
Date: Sat, Aug 8, 1998 01:49 EDT

Northeast Forest Practices Campaign Web Site
http://members.tripod.com/~nefpc/nefpc.htm

The Northeast Forest Practices Web Site has recently been updated.
This web site features info on the Northeast Forest Practices Campaign
(see below).

We have just added easier navigational features and info on the Lamb
Brook Timber sale in Vermont.  In addtion, our list of environmental
links is continuing to grow.

WHAT IS THE NORTHEAST FOREST PRACTICES CAMPAIGN?

The Native Forest Network, Earth First! groups from the northeastern
U.S.A and various other groups have launched a seven-point Northeast
Forest Practices Campaign. This ambitious campaign calls for an end
to: dioxin discharges, aerial herbicide and pesticide spraying, chip
mills and raw log exports, commercial resource extraction on public
land, bioengineered food and forests, clearcutting, and the
earth-raping practices of HydroQuebec. Factsheets on ALL these issues
are available on this web site.

In Maine the campaign is focusing on Lincoln Pulp & Paper (LP&P), a
company with a deadly legacy of discharging dioxin (among other
things)
into the Penobscot river, immediately up-river from the traditional
hunting & fishing grounds of the Penobscot Nation. The Penobscots, not
coincidentally, have a much higher than average (approximately double)
cancer rate. When we confronted the mill’s "environmental"
spokesperson about this, he blatantly displayed his racism by
shrugging off our accusations of genocide and blaming the Penobscot’s
"lifestyles" for their high cancer rates.

The have been several environmental actions (protests) at LP&P so far,
with one resulting in an arrest.  A photo of the banner we hung off
LP&P's water tower that read "LP&P, Go Chlorine Free - Dioxin Kill"
can be viewed from the "News & Recent Actions" page on our web site.
Also a very detailed and researched factsheet is available for reading
and printing out at our site.

Stop by and visit!

http://members.tripod.com/~nefpc/nefpc.htm