thinning: logs to the mill - or bring in a portable ??

Mike Hagen mhagen at olympus.net
Sun Aug 9 14:58:51 EST 1998

This is a common qestion in my neck of the woods too. I've come up
with a few rules of thumb.  If the potential mill operator is
primarily a sawyer, not a logger or farmer or whatever, the project
has a chance.  If there's a specialty market for his particular
product, he's got a chance.  If he's running old second hand equipment
and only works when he feels like it, nope.  If he is producing a bulk
product; dimension lumber, firewood, grape stakes, etc, he'd better
have a BIG source of cheap raw material, other wise, nope.  The people
I know who've made it have found innovative markets: fine door stock,
interior portions of high tech kayack paddles and art wood.
By the way, there's been talk of a solar dry kiln developed in
Missouri that I think would have a lot of bearing on what a portable
mill owner could do.  Water is weight!