Echinacea Extinction?

Mike Hagen mhagen at olympus.net
Mon Aug 10 18:52:19 EST 1998

This issue has come up for nearly every wildcrafted species I've yet
heard of, and bears directly on agroforestry.  The progression from
discovery of the herb, to popularization, then eradication in the
wild, then cultivation seems to be the rule.  The next step,
production of the synthetic active ingredient comes if there's demand
enough.
Beargrass, for example, is being removed in live form for
domestication in Europe.
Mike H.