Forest Certification (Long

Nick Ananin visfor at globalnet.co.uk
Mon Aug 10 17:18:48 EST 1998

Aha - methinks Don is trying to bait my line!!

Many speak of sustainability but I wonder how many identify how they will
juggle all the bits (environmental, social, producion etc.) to achieve a
good balance. My one ray of hope comes from a new consultation document from
the Forestry Commission in the UK
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~visfor/uksustain.htm which says

" To achieve the right balance between these economic, environmental and
social roles the Government consults and takes advice from many varied
interests and expert bodies. It also undertakes research and is developing
techniques to quantify the value of forestry benefits for which there is no
market."

Methinks we have a long way to go.

Nick Ananin at Vision Forestry, Aberdeen, Scotland
visfor at globalnet.co.uk
Forestry ICQ  Chat  Room number 9677052
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~visfor/  (Global Association of Online
Foresters)