Echinacea Extinction?

Monique Reed monique at bio.tamu.edu
Tue Aug 11 13:47:24 EST 1998

>Propagation is certainly a possibility Jim. But if anyone is growing it
>commercially, I am unaware of it. Certainly not in the quantities being
>wildcrafted at this time. And the extremely popularity as an immuno-stimulator
>does not bode well for long-term survival.

>If you personally know of large-scale cultivation, I hope you will let the ng
>know.

I don't know of any operations for sure, but I corresponded with one woman who
wanted to plant ten acres of it.  We figured the cost of seed, based on a
supplier's price and suggested rate of sowing.  Then we figured it would be
two or three years before the roots were good sized, and that she would want
to propagate the next crop from root cuttings (faster) rather than seed.  We
also figured some crop loss from poachers.  It worked out, with irrigation and
such, to be horrifically expensive.  I thought sure she'd choke, but she
didn't bat an eye--the sale price must be that good. I never heard if she
pursued it or not.

M. Reed
Texas A&M