Echinacea Extinction?

dwheeler at teleport.com dwheeler at teleport.com
Tue Aug 11 12:09:03 EST 1998

In article <6qommm$sna at priv-sys04-le0.telusplanet.net>,
  Jim Wright <jwright at agt.net> wrote:
> A concern, obviously, but judging from the rate a which it is
> being propagated agriculturally, those high prices won't hold, and
> natural populations will get a chance to recover, soon.
>
> Jim

Propagation is certainly a possibility Jim. But if anyone is growing it
commercially, I am unaware of it. Certainly not in the quantities being
wildcrafted at this time. And the extremely popularity as an immuno-stimulator
does not bode well for long-term survival.

If you personally know of large-scale cultivation, I hope you will let the ng
know.

In addition to the root, there is also demand for the flowers in the florist
industry. With two potential crops from the plant, this seems like a good
choice for either agroculture or agroforestry.

Daniel B. Wheeler
http://www.oregonwhitetruffles.com