25' buffer around ponds

rgmcarth at viser.net rgmcarth at viser.net
Mon Aug 10 21:40:20 EST 1998

In article <35D0FB0E.633B9345 at forestmeister.com>,
 	Amazing.  In Oregon, they have realized that a lot of the health of
the streams are based on the shade of the vegetation, but even more from the
large woody debris and the smaller stuff that breaks up the current and
creates pools as well as giving the aquatic arthropods something to live in
and eat, so the trout can eat them. Don't flame me, I'm not calling for
stuffing the channels full of brush wood. but a clean channel is basically a
sterile channel.   Also, the more large woody debris (More than eight inches
in diameter and several feet long--I forget) on the forest floor is ideal
habitat for amphibians and arthropods(bugs) and the critters that live on
them.