trees for fencposts - and a lot more!

gates gates at gates.demon.co.uk
Sun Aug 9 15:49:25 EST 1998

I gather you want a do everything wood for the family.  I recommend you
plant broadleaved species wherever possible but then I would.  First its
my hobbyhorse and second it produces lots more oxygen than pine.

I recommend sweet chestnut for post and firewood.  Copses of chestnut in
Kent, UK, are used instead of willow/ash and hazel for making hurdles.
It makes fine chestnut fencing if you buy a wire machine to threadle the
billets.  This is a moveable resource on any land and thus able to fence
off any area temporarily.  I gather there may be an untapped market
there.  There is also a tent peg market for chestnut and also sticks,
staves and of course timber.

I also suggest you plant some small leaved lime.  Staves have a five
pointed star in every twig scar (oxidised sapwood).  It is a good timber
tree, grows well in almost any soil, grows fairly quickly and you can
use the blossom for herbal products.  It tastes foul so apart from
health shop stalwarts it is best to sell it mixed with something fruity.

Ash burns best of all woods and a test planting of say 100 trees will
serve you well.  Tween plant at 4 metre centres with birch to use on
site later and coppice the ash.  Choose multi stemmed plants.  Coppice
every tree but leave one stem to grow to tree size.  In UK some ash
stols are over 20 feet across = coppiced for 2000 years.  Naturally I
don't expect you to try that hard (grin) but you get the point:  Felling
the stem doesn't kill the plant.  (The hazel you cut to the ground every
couple of years - or 4 maybe - depending on the crop intention.)

All stands planted should be edged with smaller trees and bushes.  I
suggest you plant hazel to coppice around the chestnut.  Hazel makes
good nuts for humans or animals and of course you can roast chestnuts or
candy them (marron glace) or make stuffing.  Hazel is of more use in
sweets than with the turkey but there is a crop there.  Hazel wands
(correct term as hazel sticks are called wands and they split but dont
break) can be sold as wands in occult shops in 24" lengths for buyers to
cut down.  You can also make and sell thatching spars to thatchers, more
staves and sticks and more besides.  I also suggest you plant almond and
crop them for almonds, almond shells, burnt almond shells, (kohl for
eyes), other beuty products, almond oil (carrier oil for aromatherapy)
and a rare but nice timber.

For bushes I suggest you try red, white & black currents (ribes).  They
can also be sold, made into jam, teas, mixed with lime blossom and much
more.  You would do well to plant your fire breaks / rides with clover
and bands of lavender border.  These provide honey for the bees you can
invest in and many more products like lavender bags, sprays for keeping
flies out of the kitchen, pomanders, lavender soap and talc and more.
All this advice means you will have to A.  Get people there and B. Build
a shop.

Whatever is there now try to leave some and use some.  A densely planted
few acres will help create its own environment - cool and leafy in the
Georgia sun.  However, you will need water.  Plan now.  Try a leaky hose
irrigation system with a 2 million gallon tank up high, lake below and
wind powered pump - and for electricity - high up.  This costs GBPounds
25000 for everything including irrigation hose for several acres.  (You
run it below ridges not in valleys to which water will run anyway).
20kw of electricity should power all your needs and put into the
electric company's grid more than you take during any downtime,
holidays, etc.  These are low noise propellers but if you have a high
point don't fail to rent the mast out to mobile phone companies too.

Have fun & good luck.
KIND REGARDS FROM:

L             E E E E E E       S S S S S
L             E                S         S
L             E                S S
L             E E E                S S
L             E                        S S
L             E                S         S
L L L L L     E E E E E E       S S S S S

THE AUTHOR OF THE MESSAGE ABOVE IS TERRIBLY CLEVER AND PERFECTLY QUALIFIED
TO GIVE ANY OPINION THAT HE HAS.  NO COPYRIGHT NOTICE IS ATTACHED AS TERRIBLY
CLEVER PEOPLE KNOW HOW TO ISSUE WRITS.  WORDS OF GREAT WISDOM COULD BE
APPENDED TO THIS SIG. BUT THE AUTHOR IS SO VERY CLEVER THAT HE NOW CHARGES
TO PROVIDE THEM AND ONLY REPLIES TO NEWSGROUP POSTINGS FOR HIS OWN AMUSEMENT.

  LES BALLARD, TREE WIZARD, C/O BM: GATES OF ANNWN, LONDON WC1N 3XX, U.K.
                            44+(0)1708 863080

             (GATES OF ANNWN IS A PAGAN CONTACT MAGAZINE)