Carbon Costs (and Benefits)

KMorrisD kmorrisd at aol.com
Wed Aug 12 21:15:42 EST 1998

I'm working on a short piece on `carbon forest management` for my forestry
clients.  I think I have the benefits part down, but I'm short on the costs
part.

Does anyone have references on the energy costs of timber harvesting and
processing--as compared to extraction and processing for other building
materials?  Or as compared to the energy benefits of wood buildings?

I remember reading somewhere years ago about how chainsaws and skidders were
the most energy efficient of all machines because of the `static energy` (or
some such) value they created in structural timbers and other wood products.

Does this ring a bell?  Any information would be appreciated.

Karl Davies